News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/12/2017 3:09:07 PM to 9/18/2017 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Hurricane Information and Updates

Posted on: September 12, 2017

[ARCHIVED] Please Use Generators Safely

·         Carefully read the product’s guide for proper usage.

·         Never use generators indoors or outside near windows, vents, or air intakes that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors. This is very dangerous and can be fatal.

·         Properly ventilate as this reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator’s engine exhaust. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a common and can cause death if generators are not used properly.

·         Ensure that there is plenty of air flow space around the generator.

·         If you begin to feel sick, dizzy, light headed, or flu like symptoms, get fresh air immediately.

·         As carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, buying a carbon monoxide detector is recommended and will warn of rising carbon monoxide levels.

·         Make sure your generator is properly grounded according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 

·         Make sure to keep the generator dry as short circuits may occur in wet conditions which can cause a generator fire.  Place the generator under an open canopy-type structure to keep it dry if needed.

·         Make sure to always keep a fully charged fire extinguisher nearby for generators.

·         Do not work on your generator yourself.  This could lead to electric shock or electrocution.  If it needs work, use a professional.

·         Keep all cords out of the way to avoid injury, but keep them in your view to track any cord damage (fraying or cuts) that could potentially cause a fire.

·         Do not plug the generator into a wall outlet. This, which is called “back feeding,” will put you and others, including utility line workers, at serious risk because the utility transformer can increase low voltage from the generator to thousands of volts.

·         The exterior portions of a generator, even if operated for only a short period of time, can become very hot. Avoid touching the generator without protective gear and keep debris clear to avoid fires.

Facebook Twitter Email