- Emergency Alerts
- Hurricane Preparedness
Preparing for Hurricanes & Tropical StormsThese emergencies are the most likely to cause major evacuations, as they did during hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jeanne in 2004. It is important to be prepared for emergencies.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Check your supply kit for flashlights, batteries, battery-powered radios, coolers, bottled water, non-perishable food, medicines, and pet supplies.
- Get any cash you’ll need before a storm hits, since banks may close and ATMs may lose power or run out of money.
- Residents who live on beachside, in mobile homes, or near rivers, may be asked to evacuate if a hurricane is approaching. Use shelters as a last resort – stay with friends or family on higher ground, or a hotel inland.
- If you have special health needs, update your plans with your caregiver and family in case of power outages or evacuations.
- Have tarps on hand to minimize roof leaks, board up windows, and seal or sandbag problem areas where water may come in. Minor roof leaks can cause major mold problems within a few weeks, so try to stop leaks quickly.
- Be extremely careful with outside generators that can send deadly fumes into your home – carbon-monoxide is odorless. Never run them inside, or in a garage or even a car port. Be careful that winds are not blowing fumes into an open window or AC unit.
- Set up one point of contact out of the area and keep them updated so they can let the rest of your family and friends know what's going on.
- Make plans for your pets if you have to leave your home. Volusia County has one shelter that accommodates pets. Otherwise, take them with you, or utilize a kennel or friends.
- Listen to the official emergency public information stations: WNDB 1150 AM, WVYB 103.3 FM, WHOG 95.7 FM, US93 93.1 FM, and WCEU TV 15. Ormond Beach and Volusia County also distribute public information to other major radio media outlets as well.
- Don't duct tape your windows. Utilizing hurricane shutters, quality hurricane window film, or simply boarding up your windows will be effective in protecting your house.